Monday, February 22, 2010

Costume Dyeing

On Saturday I ventured to the faraway land of Tracy, CA so that I could use my parents' great farm sized back yard to do costume dyeing. Luckily it didn't rain and so I was able to spend the whole day dyeing, it was however cold and windy which just made the experience more....uhm...more memorable.

I used 3 dye baths. The first was 2 gallons of water and 1/2 package of RIT Royal Blue dye, the second was 2 gallons of water and 1 whole package of RIT Royal Blue dye, and the third one was 2 gallons of water 1 package of RIT Royal Blue dye and 1/2 package of RIT Navy Blue dye.

I dyed all of the leotards the first dye bath to get them a light blue color. The pants were immersed in the light blue, and then dipped into the second dye bath, and then dipped into the third dye bath. I feel like the results were great!



Below is my work station.....



















And my assistants! (my niece and my mom)



















And this is me with the costumes drying on the clothes line. As you can tell it was cold and windy.



















I couldn't resist! I had to try it on!!


I can't wait to see the entire costume assembled and on the dancers. It's going to be amazing!

1 comment:

  1. Very impressive! I love the colors. That is going to be a cool ensemble, for sure. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete